Friday, December 13, 2013

SWAP 2014

On the 29th of October the rules for the 2014 SWAP were posted and I'm surprised I haven't posted about them before, as I was  again spending far too much time at Artisan Square waiting for them! 

So this year the rules are:

We'll be following Blue Mooney's "Algebra SWAP" formula:

3 "3 packs" + 2 "wild cards" = 11 garments.

Each three pack will be:

2 tops + 1 bottom
or
1 top + 1 bottom + 1 outer layer
or
1 dress + 1 top + 1 bottom

The "wild card" options can be just about anything you like, but they must be "garments" not accessories (hats, bags, blankets, etc.)
 


A "top" will be any shirt or blouse worn on the upper half; a "bottom" will be any garment worn on the lower half, and it shouldn't be obscene to wear either without another layer. 

A "dress" will be any garment that covers both upper and lower halves, and again, it shouldn't be obscene to wear it without an additional layer.


An "outer layer" will any jacket or sweater that is intended to be a second layer, over a top or a dress. If it can also be worn alone, that is fine.


A "bib" garment will considered a bottom, unless it can be worn alone without a top under or over it.

One garment may be previously sewn; another may be purchased. 
If you have an item you're working on now, you may include it, OR you may stitch up one item from scratch before the official sewing date of December 26.

There's no requirement that every garment match or every top match every bottom.  However, all the individual pieces must form a cohesive collection -they should all look like they belong together in the closet.

"Sewing" is a blanket term; you may sew, knit, crochet, weave...whatever works.  If you can make 11 garments with a 3D printer, that's fine.

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2014.  Muslins, pattern fitting and cutting may be started whenever you are ready.


I have so many 3 pack combinations going through my head at the moment means that I haven't quite got a firm plan, however I do know that some work garments definitely need to be included but then there is a casual top that I really want to make.

Although if you can work out what my first garment will be then you will have a very good idea of the direction the first 3 pack is going in Facebook smileys

Is anyone else planning on attempting SWAP?

10 comments:

Dilliander said...

Is it the lovely Chanel style jacket and/or matching skirt? Hope so as its stunning :)

sandra said...

I really like the rules for this years SWAP, hmmmm will I or I won't I? I have to get through Christmas and then see how much sewing energy I have left!

SewRuthie said...

well I have a plan and a revised plan and some things cut out but life is busy so who knows if it will all get completed.

Alison said...

I am looking forward to where you will be going with this, as your clothing is always so lovely... will you be using your new suit that you are working on this month in your SWAP?

I am, certainly, going to participate in SWAP... though I keep changing my mind about what will be included

BeaJay said...

I am going to give it a try again this year! I also hope that you include your stunning Shanel Jacket.

Sarah Liz said...

These are fantastic rules - what a lovely little mini-wardrobes you will create...looking forward to seeing what you choose. Good luck with getting 11 pieces made.

Jane M said...

Your new jacket and skirt will already be the basis for a fabulous SWAP. No commitment from me except for the one where I read about everyone else's plans and progress.

Robyn said...

They're some of the best swap rules I've seen, very common sense and it bit more flexible than some. looking forward to seeing your plans.

I've never completed a SWAP but I've got something swirling around in my head for summer.

Karen Pior said...

I wouldn't mind giving this a go but 11 garments by April - hmmmmm don't know if that is too much for me. Will have to ponder on it! Good luck. Cheers, Karen

Tracey said...

I like the rules of this SWAP, I think I will give it try.