Sunday, January 22, 2017

Cold Shoulder Top



Back in December during my first lot of toile preparation for Susan Khalje's classes I decided to make myself a new top for summer.

To start with I pulled out my TNT knit pattern, KS 3740 and then thought I would add the cowl from the ASG Cowl Neck Knit Top Sew-along, so I traced of a new pattern and followed the great instructions and had a new front pattern.

Then I dug out this fuchsia knit that I had purchased at The Remnant Warehouse that worked with this skirt that is an orphan in my wardrobe now that the knitted top no longer fits.


I merrily cut out my top, stitched the shoulders and overlocked the side seams and tried it on!

Did you notice above the words "no longer fits", well it was a complete disaster, partly due to the fact that I have gained some centimetres and the stretch of the knit wasn't what I thought it would be.  The top has now had its side seams unpicked and I am trying to work out a way to salvage it.

However I was determined that I would have a new top by the end of the year!

Back to the drawing board, this time I pulled out some Coral Cotton Knit that I purchased from Pitt Trading back in 2015.


First I checked the amount of stretch and it was better than the fuchsia knit, so I went ahead and cut out and sewed another top but this time I only basted the side seams before I tried it on.  A bit snug but wearable so the sleeves were basted in.

Looking in the mirror it was very apparent that I hadn't made the forward shoulder adjustment to my knit TNT pattern, and with the knit being rather thin it was really noticeable.

It took me a few days and then it dawned on me, what about a cold shoulder top!

I undid the top of the sleeve and then put it on, turning down what I thought looked good, pinned in it place and then took the sleeves out, stitching the new top hems on my coverstitch and then trimming the seam.


I hemmed the sleeves and then stitched the sleeves back into the armholes.  I added Lite Steam-A-Seam2 to the remainder of the armsyce


turned it under and coverstitched it in place.

After a few washes
Back to the sleeve pattern, I pinned what I had cut off and it was 6cm.  So for the next version I will create a new pattern and straighten the curve at the top 1cm of the sleeve so that I when I turn it to hem there is solid fabric all the way across.


The back view


******************
2017 Stash Out: 1 m
2017 Stash In: 4 m

9 comments:

SewRuthie said...

What a clever fix and so on trend too!

CAN I said...

Very inspiring save, both wearable and fashionable. Thanks for sharing your great idea.

JanQ said...

Great save

Vicki said...

When a sewer wants a new top, she does what it takes! And it is great when inspiration strikes like that! Great top. Love the colour too.

Dilliander said...

Oh you so deserve such a lovely top, effort equals reward! Inspired save and the sleeves look great.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant save! I absolutely love the colour of this top, and it goes so well with your skirt.

sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com said...

An inspired save. It looks lovely, perfect colour for you.

BeaJay said...

What a cute top and a great save. Love the cold shoulder top and the gorgeous colour.

Carolyn said...

Super on trend! and I love this colour on you too. I've yet to try the cold shoulder trend, we're not having much of a summer over here! however yours looks fab. I really love it and yay for a great save :).