Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rachel Comey Skirt - V1247

This is another pattern that has been extensively reviewed at Pattern Review for both the top and the skirt and I have fallen in love with the simplicity of the skirt with its interesting pockets.

I have used a chocolate brown denim that I purchased from Kerryn's Fabric World in March 2012 and made the following changes to the pattern:
  • added 15 cm (6") to the length as this skirt is very short
  • checked that the hip/waist shape was the same as my self drafted skirt
  • since this was stretch denim, I took 0.5cm (1/8") extra in at the waist.
This skirt is very quick to make, well with my limited time anyway, it was less than a week from when I cut it out to when it was completed, although I didn't add the bias binding to the seams as I was lining this skirt.



Lining and twill tape waistband.
Invisible zip and seam matching
Quilting cotton for the pocket lining.
The pockets are wonderful, they don't gape and it is so easy to slide your hands into them.

This skirt is my for my Everyday Collection of my SWAP and is my 7th piece.

******************

For those interested, I have added some additional photos for my lace top.

******************
Stash Out:  7.45m
Stash In:  0



20 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Isn't it a great skirt pattern? You've made an awesome version! Love the quilting cotton that you used for the pockets.

Faye Lewis said...

I love your skirt and you did a great job. Love that little unexpected pop of color you added in the pockets. I've loved that pattern since it came out.

shams said...

Very cute! It looks nice lined and I bet it's so comfy to wear.

Steph A said...

I love it!! The colour is great, and the pocket fabric is lovely. Great fit, and I like how it's lined.

Linda L said...

I really should have purchased this pattern. The more I see of this skirt the more I like it!

RebeccaHoward said...

I love this skirt and made it in a navy stretch sateen . Yours looks fantastic and I think lining it is a much better idea than faffing around with the bias which actually made it slightly lumpy over the hip line for me. Not a good spot for more lumps. The lining of the pockets looks nice in the contrast patterned fabric. A special little feature just for you :)

BeaJay said...

Great skirt - love the details and the fabric you have used for the pockets. Looks great with your top too.

Cherrypix said...

A great looking version of this skirt...bet you get heaps of wear out if it!

velosews said...

Nice skirt Sharon. I like the lining used too.

Diana said...

I love your skirt Sharon. Those pockets are special. The lining really adds a little "je ne sais quoi!!"

Dixie said...

The skirt looks great on you. Your fabric choice is smart, and that cute print for the pocket linings is so whimsical. Very nice job of matching seams on that zipper!

Mary said...

Cute, especially that wonderful pop of color in the pocket. I am back from my travels and look forward to reading your blog and catching up a bit.

Dilliander said...

This is a fabulous skirt, with fabulous pockets and in a fabulous denim... of course it looks fabulous on as well!!!

Carolyn said...

Did you remove the waistband as well? Your skirt looks great. This is such an awesome pattern :)

Sarah Liz said...

I regret not buying this pattern too - I think I thought the pockets would gape or add an umattractive line across the front, but they work really well.

Kristy Chan said...

Hi Sharon, it was great spending the day with you on Saturday at the ASG industry day. Your skirt looks great, and those pockets did manage to hold your iphone with no bulges or lumps at all so it is a very functional skirt too! Good thing you added the extra length though, I can't imagine how short this skirt would be made to the pattern

Gail said...

Beautifully made Sharon. Hope you enjoyed the industry day.

Janine said...

Another fabulous addition to your swap.Kerryn sells good quality fabrics. Thankyou for adding the extra photos of your lace top. I am very interested in seeing this finish as so many patterns have those facings that just do not seem professional.

Sew Leonie said...

You've done a great job. The skirt looks funky and I love the colour. Your top is great too!

Sue said...

Great skirt - I love this pattern too! I think I have that brown fabric in my stash too!