Sunday, March 31, 2013

Interfacing and Bluffed Patch Pocket

Now if you attended the ASG Industry Day at Niagara Park last Saturday week you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Martyn Smith, the Sales and Marketing Manager for McCall's was the guest speaker for the afternoon session to talk about "using the correct interfacing" and this was the main reason that I attend this Industry Day.

Martyn has an extensive knowledge base and has over the years has written some very informative articles for Australian Stitches.

So it is time to dig out some of your older Australian Stitches magazines and using the indexes I have here it was very easy to find Martyn's article in Volume 16 Issue No.4 "Blissful Bonding".  This article is pretty much the information that Martyn shared with us as well as showcasing the new interfacing's that McCall's have launched.


One of the items that Martyn strongly suggests you own is an "Elna Press".  Do you have a one of the many domestic ironing presses?

When my sewing teacher moved I purchased one of the ones that we used during class, it is a Singer Magic Press II and use it for all of my interfacing pressing as it makes any bonding so easy.

There it is bottom left standing to attention!
So what is a Bluffed Patch Pocket that had quite a few of us intrigued about last Saturday when Martyn showed us this jacket front during his talk.  Martyn explains it beautifully in Australian Stitches Volume 11 No.5 "Bluffed Patch Pocket".  I had to flick through the actual magazines to find this one!

You can just see the edge of the pocket above!
I have been busy sewing, but you will have to wait a bit longer to see the results.

5 comments:

BeaJay said...

It's funny, I was just thinking about interfacing today as I prepared the pattern for a ponte jacket I want to sew. When I first started sewing I bought a "roll" of interfacing from Spotlight and have been using it ever since. Over time I have purchased more "refined" interfacing from Palmer Pletsch and Fashion Sewing Supplies - but never "cracked it open". I feel that I am finally grown up as I am going to use the good stuff for this next project.

Still can't see what a BLUFFED patch pocket is. I don't have the magazine.

Eager to see what you have been sewing!

Kristy Chan said...

Thanks for digging this out Sharon - I don't know if I have the patience to make a bluffed pocket (it sounded tricky) but it sure does look good. The session on interfacing was very informative, I never knew I would so enthralled by a talk on interfacing!

dilemmax said...

It looks like Martyn used to have a blog and he blogged about this technique.

http://prosew.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/bluff-stitching-patch-pocket.html

Cherrypix said...

Thanks for the references! Sorry I couldn't make it to the Industry Day...these will help!

velosews said...

I look forward to seeing how your go with the pocket. Glad you got a lot out of Martyn's presentation.