Sunday, July 20, 2014

Activewear - Jalie 3022

I am in the process of trying to make 5 pieces of active wear this month using some of the fabric that I purchased back in January.

Why?

Well over at Pattern Review they are holding their annual Mini Wardrobe competition and the rules state that it must contain 5 pieces to achieve 6 looks.   Now I don't wear too many dresses and my wardrobe at present has far too many skirts and jeans in it to make any more.

The one area of my life that is very neglected is active wear.  Now I am not a gym junkie, however 3 times a week, I work out at home and my current work out gear is looking a bit sad and sorry for itself.

The patterns I have chosen are:

Jalie 3022 Yoga pants
Fehr Trade Duathlon Shorts
Lekala Sports Vest
Fehr Trade VNA top
Seamster Patterns Advocado Hoodie

I took me a while to work out what colour combination I would like to use and have ended up using brown, navy, grass green and leftover pieces from this top

To start it all rolling, I decided to make up the Yoga Pants from Jalie


I traced the Size R and then scooped the crotch curve lower like I did for my Jeans and thought I would try a horizontal tuck of 1cm at the back upper thigh to see if this would remove the excess fabric in that area.

The yoga pants have a seam at the back of the leg, so I purchased some variegated embroidery thread that blended well with the top fabric to add some interest on the back leg and side seams as well as around the waistband.

To get this look, I threaded the embroidery thread in the looper of my Coverstitch machine and then set up the needles on the widest width and sewed the seam allowances down on the wrong side which gave me this very RTW look on the right side.


I didn't do the contrast waistband as I tend to wear my tops longer.

I used plain brown thread for the other seams using the same technique.

Here they are!






All the other pieces are in various stages of construction so I will be back soon.

******************
2014 Stash Out: 18.8 m
2014 Stash In: 45.75 m

16 comments:

Summer Flies said...

Nice! Good luck in the competition. I really have to get cracking on learning
how to use my coverstitch!

L said...

I like how you used contrasting thread and coverstitched on the outside. I have to try that. Good luck with the competition.

Unknown said...

Look a lovely fit I like the contrasting thread it's something I should try on my machine. Good luck with the competition

Su-z said...

How cute! I love them. I need to give those a try, thanks for sharing.

Amy S. said...

The contrast stitching added such a nice touch to your pants!

BeaJay said...

Fabo pants. Love the stitching. And the yoga poses. Surely your yoga only gets better with such nice gear.

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Namaste

MushyWear said...

You are off to a great start! The contrast thread came out so nice. Can't wait to see the rest of your set.

Carolyn said...

That's a great yoga outfit, and nice action shots, your poses are excellent too! Good luck in the competition :)

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

That contrasting thread looks brilliant. Great start to your mini wardrobe.

Robyn said...

Great idea - love the idea of a mix and match work out gear. You've chosen some great patterns and you're off to a great start with those pants. Good luck!

Diana said...

They look great on you Sharon. I love the way you used the cover stitch in contrasting colours. Brilliant.I'll be rooting (is that a worD??) for you at PR.

Sarah Liz said...

Very smart active wear - I agree, this is an area that gets neglected, along with house casual clothes. It must make you feel inspired to do your routine. Good luck with the competition, although I think just completing a P.R. comp is winning enough :)

becki-c said...

Those looks terrific and so comfy! I have thought about workout clothes, but I'm nervous about the fabric and I have brought myself to get that overstitch machine. I love that contrasting thread, nice look.
I'm definitely bookmarking this for when I get ready to make my own as well.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous yoga pants. I keep thinking about these patterns but never seem to get to it - next year, maybe. I love what you've done with the multi coloured thread, it really does lift them. Good luck with the competition!

Vicki said...

Great outfits. Good luck with the competition!