Thursday, December 31, 2015

Tessuti Kate Top

Over at Pattern Review there has been a contest for New to Me Patterns for the month of December.

New to Me Pattern Company Contest

Around the same time Tessuti launched their new pattern - The Kate Top.

I've never used a Tessuti pattern before and this one appealed to me as a suitable top for both work and casual tops for my wardrobe.

I decided to make an XS and View A but first up in a toile only doing the following adjustments to the pattern:

-  Front neckline gaposis of 1cm
-  Back neckline gaposis of 1cm
-  Sway back adjustment of 1.5cm

I took this to my ASG meeting to see if the girls could help me get a better fit as I found it unflattering on my figure.

I don't like the pregnant look.
So I added the following adjustments:

-  raised the shoulder by 1cm at the neck edge to 0.5cm at the shoulder.
-  high round back of 1cm
-  took out a dead dart vertically below the bust apex 1cm at the hem line to noting at the bust which removed some of the fullness.

Here are what the pattern pieces now look like:

Front pattern

Back pattern

I then found this fabric in my stash and had no idea where it came from or what it was. So I did a burn test and it appears to be a loosely woven polyester. One thing I do know is that it frayed like mad and I had to overlock the hems so that I would have something to turn under.

One thing I did notice was that the pattern is very well drafted all the pieces fit perfectly together and the way Tessuti has drafted the mitre corners on this top is very clever and the finished result is perfect.

and now for the finished top

I like the front better now but will wear it a few more times before I decide to make it up again in the gorgeous cotton voile I found in my stash.

I haven't mentioned SWAP 2016 yet, and will soon, but this is my first top.

2015 Stash Out: 20.45 m
2015 Stash In: 18 m


Audrey said...

I had forgotten that Tessuti had patterns. Your top looks great. Isn't it nice to have sewing friends to help with fitting? I have found that even simple tops need some shaping (same back changes as you made)to look good on me.

Anonymous said...

The top looks great since your changes. I love it with the skirt and shoes, looks totally put together.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I love this top on you! This is one of the first I've seen on a woman with a womanly shape and your adjustments makes the front fall so well on you. Can't wait to hear about your SWAP plans. Happy New Year!

p.s. As I type this I realize that I'm still waiting for the new year to arrive and it's already arrived where you are... said...

Happy New Year to you and Roscoe. Your alterations are wonderful - the baggy look does not look wonderful on your small frame. Now you have an altered pattern ready to go in a nice fabric - although this one looks pretty good as well :)

Paola said...

I've just made a wearable muslin of this pattern too as a pyjama top. Very interesting to see how you addressed the fit issues.
I agree that the draft is excellent and the way the mitred side seam split is constructed is fab.

Dilliander said...

Your changes work perfectly for you, a lovely top!

Therese said...

Your shirt turned out lovely Sharon! The changes you made give it the perfect fit.
Here is to many more lovely pieces to your wardrobe in the new year! Happy new year!

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Your adjustments to the pattern have made all the difference Sharon. Lovely top!

L said...

I agree with everyone: the changes you made worked perfectly! I'd love to hear about your 2016 SWAP plans. Happy new year!