Monday, January 16, 2012

Sewing with a Plan

I am once more attempting the SWAP Contest at Stitcher's Guild and this year the SWAP focuses on fitting, and making tried-and-true patterns: testing and fitting paper patterns, muslins, and fashion garments that will help lower the overall sewing failure rates,  result in fabulous clothing to be proud of, and (hopefully) give every contestant a pattern or two that works every time it is used.

You choose any seven garments from this list:

Button Down Shirt w/Collar         
Blouse or shirt   (collar is optional)               
T-Shirt         
Vest                               
Overshirt               
Dress           
Jeans
Trousers     
Shorts or Capri Pants     
Skirt 
Jacket (jean jacket, windbreaker, hoodie, etc.)                   
Coat  (suit or sport coat)
Overcoat or Raincoat   
Bathing Suit Coverup  

From those seven, you can choose four to make twice for a total of 11 garments that will work together.   Those four may either be repeated garments from the same pattern, or one each from two different patterns.

The contest runs from 26 December 2011 until 30 April 2012 and you can have 2 previously sewn garments amongst the total 11.

Now I'm planning on using my last 2 garments as the pre-sewn items, so it looks like Navy will feature quite strongly in my SWAP.

The garments I have chosen so far are:

2 x Blouse or Shirt - Vogue 8572  (OOP)
- Burnt Orange - completed 
- Navy/Gold/Brown - completed

1 x Dress - Simplicity 2648 
- Navy linen with pickstitching - completed

2 x Jeans - Jalie 2908 
- White Jeans completed
- Navy Jeans completed.

1 x Jacket - Vogue 7975 
- Navy with some seam details added

1 x Skirt - Vogue 7937
- Navy linen, View A - completed

1 x Raincoat - Minoru 1103 
- Navy ripstop - pattern adjustments done and fabric cut out and nearly finished.

1 x Shorts - Sure Fit Pants
- Navy twill - completed

1 x Vest - Jalie 3129
- Navy linen - completed
   
2 x Knit Tops 
- Navy/Green striped using Kwik.Sew 3740 - completed
- Brown/Navy/Cream abstract print from Fabulous Fabrics using BWOF 02-2009-108

The remaining 4 garments are still a question mark:

  • Do I make 2 knits tops, but
  • I really need shorts, which can be a test for the fit for pants :) 1 pair now in the plan
  • I will need a navy skirt to go with the jacket (fingers crossed I have enough fabric) Now in the plan
  • I really want to fit the Connie Crawford B5300 shirt, but not sure if I have a shirt fabric that will go with the Navy as I'm tyring to work from my stash.
 Now I need to make some final decisions and that includes a name for my SWAP.

As I don't like having a pictureless post, I thought I would share with you one of Roscoe's favourite things to do:

It takes days to get the sand out of his fur :)


22/1/2012 - Plan edited - Jacket out and Skirt in.
17/4/2012 - Plan edited - Shorts, Vest and 2 knits tops are in.

8 comments:

Judith said...

Sometimes the name for the SWAP is the hardest part, and yet the most motivational...

Janine said...

I personally love navy blue - it goes with everything but it is hard to find nice navy blue shoes. Good luck with your swap .

Carol said...

I bet your car is full of sand, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, Thanks for stopping by my blog and making such nice comments about my top and jacket. I was nervous about my welt pockets - I don't think I have made one for about 15 years.
I like your blog and have been reading for a while (I was too shy to comment - sorry) . You make lovely clothes.

Gail said...

My timing is all wrong for this swap as I'm still in Europe but would love to have a go. See you at the next ASG meet.

Gay McDonell said...

Well that sounds like a great plan - good luck with it all - we just had Maggie trimmed today, so the sand problem should be controlled for a little while!!

Goodbye Valentino said...

You're doing exactly what I need to be doing. I'm often driving by impulse and SWAP sounds like a great way to direct one into purposeful sewing. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

velosews said...

Good on you Sharon. You've already made the toughest decision to do this SWAP:)