Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A new "Me"

My DM and DS gave me this wonderful gift as part of my Christmas present



So yesterday they arrived at my home all ready to wrap me in a dry cleaners bag and then proceeded to stick framers tape from my neck to my hips (widest part) to create my body form.

After an hour this is what I looked like from the back, the whole body is done but the front is TMI for public viewing, with very sore legs from standing still for so long (please excuse my messy cupboard, DH didn't think to close the door before he took the photo.)



At this stage DS took a measurement of my hip area for reference further on.

This is then cut up the back and you carefully step out of it and then stick the cut back together. This is your opportunity to check that there aren't any thin spots and if so you can put more tape on the inside of the form so as not to distort the outside widths. You then use your hair dryer to dry it is as much as you can.

We then stood the form on a piece of paper and traced around the bottom edge, then took a tape measure on its side and measured around it to make sure that we hadn't added/subtracted any width from the measurement taken above. The template was then cut out and checked to make sure that it fit in the bottom of the form and then a cardboard base was cut out with a hole in the centre for it to be placed on a stand, and then you carefully tape the base to the body form.

Now DM and DD did this for me about 9 years ago and with putting on weight (yes it was intended) and gym work the body has changed a bit so my old "me" wasn't a usable sewing aid for fitting garments.

When I first started sewing I purchased one of the adjustable manequins which just wasn't shaped the way I am, so we discarded the top and this is where my "old" me was hanging around. So we cut off the "old" me (on the floor) and put the "new" me in her place.



My shoulders are sitting on a wooden coat hanger which is attached to the pole. You then roll up newspaper and drop this into the cavity to stop it from collapsing (don't worry the tape drys as hard as a rock, it is more for when you press on it).

My new dress form will come in very handy for the top I am currently making so I had better get back to the sewing room.

9 comments:

Gail said...

Wow, I could use of these. My dress form has a waistline several inches smaller than mine.

velosews said...

What an impression.

SewRuthie said...

What a wonderful gift! What lovely people they are to do that for you :-)

Carol said...

I think I need one of these. The boobs on Vera (my shop bought dress form) are way too pert.

Jenni said...

What a lovely gift. Its surprisingly tiring being wrapped for these isn't it? And standing without moving at all is surprisingly difficult (or maybe I am a complete fidget?)
You got a lovely result though and I hope you enjoy using her. Has she a name yet?

Audrey said...

A dress form double of you is a lovely sewing gift. What great friends you have! I had to update mine a couple of years ago too, but it was worth it. Mine is invaluable for pin fitting patterns and identifying potential fitting issues.

Diana said...

This is an amazing way to go for a body double! Lucky you to have a Mom and a sister who would go the trouble of doing this for you!!

Alison said...

Wow Sharon...I never realised your hips were that much smaller than your shoulders! You're very brave to post that pic on your blog. I'm sure I wouldn't!

kbenco said...

I could use one of these too. It sounds so much easier than a duct tape dummy, with the tape holding rigid by itself (is this correct?)Is there another name for framer's tape? I am not familiar with this product? Is it tape used for picture frames - and where do you buy it?