Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fabric Shopping in Melbourne

Last weekend my sewing buddies and I headed to Melbourne for 4 days.

We stayed in the city and caught trams and trains and did a lot of walking and had a wonderful time.

Arriving lunch time on Thursday we booked into our accommodation and caught the #19 Tram from Elizabeth Sreet to visit Brunswick Fabrics, Anne's Discount Fabrics, Hahn Fabrics, Spotlight and Unique Fabrics (which are unfortunately closing down).

At Spotlight I purchased a 100% cotton called Blossom Printed Khaki for a blouse and then at Unique Fabrics I purchased this beautiful burgundy wool, enough for a suit. It wasn't until we got back to our accommodation that night that I noticed they also worked well together.



On Friday morning we caught the #8 Tram from Swanston Street, for our first stop at GJ's Fabrics where I purchased this colourful mesh for a top.




Next stop was Clegs where I fell in love with this Mongolia Pattern Acrylic Knit, I'm not sure what I am making with it yet, and any suggestions are most welcome, but I just couldn't leave without it...



We then went Rathdown Fabrics where this natural wool/cotton jumped out at me and I'm thinking of making BWOF 131-10-2008 Jacket




After lunch we caught the tram back to the city and then caught the train out to Darn Cheap Fabrics at Heidelberg and then back one train station to The Cloth Shop at Ivanhoe. When we got back to the City we still had time to go to Clegs as I had been thinking about the Picadilly Cocoa Lace I had seen earlier and had decided that it had to come home with me after seeing the wonderful lace garments at Stitchers Guild.




We woke on Saturday to a very wet day but this didn't deter us, we caught the #70 Tram from Flinders Street and headed to Richmond. Luckily we were a bit early for Dancing Queen to open so we just had to check out all those wonderful shoe stores and I found chocolate brown shoes, what heaven.

We then wondered up the road to Astrotex and drooled over all the wonderful fabrics and then headed to Bridge Road for lunch and more retail therapy.

Sunday saw us go to Victoria Markets where there was even more fabric :)

We are all back home and are busy planning what we are going to do with our fabrics.

Thank you my buddies for a wonderful time in Melbourne.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny....we never really showed one another what we'd bought! I didn't know you got that mesh...it's gorgeous BTW.

Anonymous said...

We have a wonderful 4 days due mainly to the 3 very organised ladies. We all bought lovely fabrics, shared ideas and laughed. I recommend the trip to everyone. Thanks for including me.
SD

velosews said...

I had a good time in Melbourne with everyone. I am really very grateful that we all enjoyed the trip together. The fabric we bought will always remind me of our trip.
I haven't had a second look at my stash as yet, but am determined to make the patterns/fabrics that I had originally planned.

Ingrid said...

Hi, I just found your blog through PR. I live in Adelaide and went by myself on a fabric buying mission to Melbourne in September 2007, bought some really lovely fabric and met a lovely lady who drove me to a couple of shops. I plan to go again one day but have to whittle down my stash first!!!

Anonymous said...

Well I haven't seen the fabrics either Alison, since I missed out on going with you all. However, the stay home was worth it given the good outcomes with Andrew's surgery. Love the brown lace Sharon, I do envy that you got to go to Astratex! Its on my "to do" list.LR