Sunday, September 28, 2014

Steel Blue Strathcona Henley

Another year and another wedding anniversary gift for Mark, my husband, and this year the modern gift guide suggested textiles, fur.

I did for a fleeting second think of making Mark a woven shirt, but once I spied this wool knit (that had been in my stash since 2010) and remembering that I had also purchased the Parkland Selection from Thread Theory, the Strathcona Henley was the winner.

Based on Mark's measurements I cut out a medium.

It wasn't until I sat down and started to sew this, that I realised I was doing my first buttonhole placket on a knit! Thankfully the instructions for this were quite good and using a lot of basting I was very pleased with how it turned out.

There was no way I was going to  do the buttonholes, so I again purchased them from Mick at Quick Buttonhole Service at Alexandria.  I couldn't believe my luck in finding the perfect buttons at Spotlight.


The Strathcona Henley is a "modern", "slim-fitting" t-shirt and I chose to make it with long sleeves seeing the fabric was a wool mix. I did have a bit of concern when I had all but the hem done that it was going to be too big, however when I measured it against one of his current t-shirts it was a slightly slimmer fit but the length seemed a bit long.  I did cut off 4.5cm from the length and that left me with a 2cm hem.






It looks like it's a winner, it has had a few outings already!

******************
2014 Stash Out: 29.35 m
2014 Stash In: 47.25 m

16 comments:

BeaJay said...

The top had turned out very nice indeed - a great gift and your hubby looks well pleased.

poppykettle said...

Definitely a winner - the placket looks fanstastic!

KathyS said...

Nice shirt - looks like a very useful man's pattern. Good work on the placket.

Sarah Liz said...

What a great birthday gift - such a smart t-shirt. The placket looks good , and I agree, pity to ruin it with inexpert buttonholes.

Therese said...

Very good looking shirt AND wearer, congratulations!

Robyn said...

It's a great looking shirt. I love the colour you used, it looks great on Mark! I've got this pattern stashed away - I think you've just pushed it a little higher on my to-do list :)

L said...

Wow the shirt fits him wonderfully and the buttons indeed are a great match.

Unknown said...

This looks lovely, a great job (as usual). Better not show my hubby, he may want one :)

kbenco said...

It looks very smart. Great present!

Sue said...

Great shirt!

Irene said...

What a wonderful shirt!

Diana said...

Very nice top and so well fitted to your hubby 's physique! A tab neckline is still one of my weaknesses in sewing skills but you have obviously perfected it ,Sharon.

Gail said...

Great shirt!

Carolyn said...

Happy anniversary! and a handmade shirt is a great gift for your man. It looks terrific on him :)

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous anniversary present. I might have to introduce my husband to the henley, it's very smart.

Lisa said...

I've been wondering whether to make one of these for my own DH; seeing yours has made me decide that I will! Nice fit, lovely finish and a gorgeous shade of blue; thank you for sharing it with us.