Sunday, January 24, 2016

Skiing Henley

The planets have finally aligned and I have been home when Mark has put on his Anniversary gift from September last year.

The modern gift guide for our 14th anniversary suggested Ivory or gold jewellery and seeing he doesn't wear any jewellery I put my thinking cap on regarding Ivory.  Luckily I remembered that I had some Ivory Bamboo Interlock purchased in 2009 from The Bamboo Fabric Store in my stash which would work perfectly for another Strathcona Henley, maybe the t-shirt with short sleeves this time.

My next quandary was how to make it not so plain and then remembered Mark had a purchased t-shirt from Japan back in 2005 which was looking very sad, but had a tone-on-tone embroidered skier on it.

Now how to do this as I don't have an embroidery machine, but this is where talking to your sewing buddies is great, Alison volunteered to do this for me.

So I headed over to Great Designs and purchased a skier design for Alison to use on her machine.  It took Alison a few test runs with different threads to get the skier to look like I had imagined, and we ended up using Mettler No 703.



The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to lower the front neckline by 2cm.

And to make the t-shirt look more RTW I dug out some white twill tape and stitched it around the back neckline like Mark's RTW t-shirts.









Mark is very pleased with this t-shirt, it has had a lot of wears already.

******************
2015 Stash Out: 25.55 m
2015 Stash In: 32.8 m

13 comments:

Accordion3 said...

Awesome!

Summer Flies said...

That looks lovely. You have done such a great job. Oooh, I think I need a friend with an embroidery machine. I love the same colour on same colour. It looks very upmarket.

sdBev said...

Gorgeous! I love tone on tone embroidery. So interesting to see a male version.

Gabrielle said...

What a lovely present - the top itself looks very nice, and how thoughtful and organised you are to think of the special embroidered ski-er and to enlist a friend's help before the present was due! Lucky Mark!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous anniversary present. The embroidery is wonderful, and it makes all the difference. Great present and a great t-shirt!

Gail said...

Did you hand embroider? It's great and the fabric is a good weight for the cooler weather.

Aminat said...

What a great gift..Happy anniversary

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Lovely T Shirt The sleeves are a nice length and the tone on tone embroidery adds a special detail. Happy anniversary.

Sarah Liz said...

What a wonderful gift, I am sure your husband loved the fact that you replicated his favourite tee. And so nicely made as well :)

L said...

Happy anniversary! What a great gift. =)

Diana said...

What a great gift! the embroidered skier was such a nice touch !

Carolyn said...

It looks fantastic! I love the embroidered skier, it's a really nice design :)

gMarie said...

What a great gift! It's fabulous!! g