Sunday, August 31, 2014

Chain Maille - Captive

I am intrigued by Chain Maille and the different weaves and designs you can achieve using jump rings.

I have made one previous necklace using the Byzantine Weave and at Zilchbeads they had on display a Captive Inverted Round Maille weave necklace that I was curious to learn.

This time I took this fabric (it hadn't been made into the top then) and chose the antique jump rings and some very bright orange beads, which interestingly enough are toned down quite a bit when captured.

The necklace is a combination of stringing and Chain Maille and once you get into the rhythm it goes together quite quickly.

  
Only this last weekend I managed to make the earrings to go with it, I had pinned this captive earring and then did my own take on it.


and here is what the full set looks like.


Now to work on some spring/summer styles.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very stylish and professional looking. Your jewelry looks as good as your sewing.

BeaJay said...

Wow - gorgeous. Did you use Doctor Julius Sumner Miller's egg in the milk bottle trick to get those stones in the chain? Lovely. Love the colours too.

Sarah Liz said...

Absolutely lovely - so nicely made. And will suit you perfectly. Very fiddly, you must need quite a bit of manual dexterity to manage this sort of work.

Carolyn said...

This is such a beautiful set Sharon! and so intricate and intriguing up close. I can't even begin to imagine how you put it together! You are so clever :)

chesneykat said...

Very beautiful set!