Sunday, November 15, 2009

What a weekend!

Well I'm home again after spending two whole days with 10 other wonderful real life sewing buddies.

I arrived around 8am to make sure all was set up and the others slowly followed me. By morning tea we were all there and getting stuck into our various projects.



The Mercure at Parramatta did a fantastic job in feeding us at regular intervals and were happy to assist with some very unusual conference requests e.g. a power board for each table and two irons and ironing boards please.

I chose to start on Vogue 8280 LBD and after doing the toile thought it would be finished that afternoon. How wrong can a girl be!

This is where I am up to after 2 full days of sewing. The wool I used gave me some challenges with easing the back onto to the flange (tighter weave) and there are just so many seams and darts that need pressing and clipping it just didn't seem to stop.



Left to do is:
  • insert the sleeves, how come one always goes in with no pain and the other one just wants to fight you every step of the way,
  • Finish off the back neckline,
  • Hem both the fashion fabric and lining.
I'm extremely pleased with how this dress is fitting me (my body double needs to be updated) so I am keen to get this finished.

Needless to say the blouse didn't even get a look in.

7 comments:

velosews said...

Sharon you did a fantastic job organising our sewing weekend. I really enjoyed the weekend and this was due to your attention to detail and keeping us prepared for this event.
Your dress is perfect - design, fabric and fit.
Thank you again.

Gail said...

Sharon thanks for organising this weekend. It was the first time I've met with other sewers in the flesh to work together. I loved the comeraderie and your tip on inserting invisible zips made it extra worthwhile. That dress has a wow factor.

LuisaR said...

Its was a great weekend wasn't it - thanks to all for the input on my dress toile, I now feel game enough to cut out the fabric LOL. Your own dress is a stunner!! Congrats & well done organising the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, Your setup for the weekend looks fantastic, light, roomy and very comfortable. Your dress is looking really good, I hope the second sleeve goes in without difficulty. I am glad everyone enjoyed the weekend.
LU Lee-Anne

LuisaR said...

Sharon, do you think you could post a tutorial on putting in invisible zips? As Gail pointed out, you do seem to do them well!

SewRuthie said...

Oh what brilliant fun!

marLou said...

jealous. wish i can attend something like this but feel still intimidated to be around better sewers than me which is pretty much everybody i know off. but looks like everyone learned lots. the lbd looks elegant.