Sunday, January 22, 2017

Cold Shoulder Top



Back in December during my first lot of toile preparation for Susan Khalje's classes I decided to make myself a new top for summer.

To start with I pulled out my TNT knit pattern, KS 3740 and then thought I would add the cowl from the ASG Cowl Neck Knit Top Sew-along, so I traced of a new pattern and followed the great instructions and had a new front pattern.

Then I dug out this fuchsia knit that I had purchased at The Remnant Warehouse that worked with this skirt that is an orphan in my wardrobe now that the knitted top no longer fits.


I merrily cut out my top, stitched the shoulders and overlocked the side seams and tried it on!

Did you notice above the words "no longer fits", well it was a complete disaster, partly due to the fact that I have gained some centimetres and the stretch of the knit wasn't what I thought it would be.  The top has now had its side seams unpicked and I am trying to work out a way to salvage it.

However I was determined that I would have a new top by the end of the year!

Back to the drawing board, this time I pulled out some Coral Cotton Knit that I purchased from Pitt Trading back in 2015.


First I checked the amount of stretch and it was better than the fuchsia knit, so I went ahead and cut out and sewed another top but this time I only basted the side seams before I tried it on.  A bit snug but wearable so the sleeves were basted in.

Looking in the mirror it was very apparent that I hadn't made the forward shoulder adjustment to my knit TNT pattern, and with the knit being rather thin it was really noticeable.

It took me a few days and then it dawned on me, what about a cold shoulder top!

I undid the top of the sleeve and then put it on, turning down what I thought looked good, pinned in it place and then took the sleeves out, stitching the new top hems on my coverstitch and then trimming the seam.


I hemmed the sleeves and then stitched the sleeves back into the armholes.  I added Lite Steam-A-Seam2 to the remainder of the armsyce


turned it under and coverstitched it in place.

After a few washes
Back to the sleeve pattern, I pinned what I had cut off and it was 6cm.  So for the next version I will create a new pattern and straighten the curve at the top 1cm of the sleeve so that I when I turn it to hem there is solid fabric all the way across.


The back view


******************
2017 Stash Out: 1 m
2017 Stash In: 4 m

9 comments:

SewRuthie said...

What a clever fix and so on trend too!

CAN I said...

Very inspiring save, both wearable and fashionable. Thanks for sharing your great idea.

Jan Q said...

Great save

Vicki said...

When a sewer wants a new top, she does what it takes! And it is great when inspiration strikes like that! Great top. Love the colour too.

Dilliander said...

Oh you so deserve such a lovely top, effort equals reward! Inspired save and the sleeves look great.

fadanista.com said...

What a brilliant save! I absolutely love the colour of this top, and it goes so well with your skirt.

Sarah Liz said...

An inspired save. It looks lovely, perfect colour for you.

BeaJay said...

What a cute top and a great save. Love the cold shoulder top and the gorgeous colour.

Carolyn said...

Super on trend! and I love this colour on you too. I've yet to try the cold shoulder trend, we're not having much of a summer over here! however yours looks fab. I really love it and yay for a great save :).