Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Leather Workshop - Convention 2012

Well I'm home again and what a fantastic week I had at the ASG Convention in Adelaide.

In my previous post I did tell you about the Fractured Knit Cardi workshop I was going to be doing, however I didn't mention the Luscious Leather Handbag 2 day workshop with Yvonne Twining.

My kit for this workshop was $48 for the small bag and that was for the leather and pigskin for the lining.

The class started with us choosing 3 or 4 types/colours of leather and Yvonne had so much gorgeous leather to choose from and what colour pigskin lining we wanted to use.  This is my leather choice, safe but perfect for me to use every day.

This is during construction showing the 3 leathers
By the end of the first day we had cut out the leather pieces, pigskin lining and had completed the sewing of the pigskin lining.

2 side zip pockets and an iPhone pocket
At the end of the 2nd day, all 9 of the workshop attendees had a finished bag and here is mine:

The 3 leathers on the front and the back is the plain leather

Not sure how I'm going to fix that wayward stitch :(
Internal view
I am thrilled with my new bag and it was an excellent learning experience for working with leather.

The Fractured Knit Cardi just needs a few more finishing touches.

22 comments:

velosews said...

Stunning bag Sharon. I think the colours will work well with your wardrobe.

Dilliander said...

I agree with velosewer... fabulous bag, definitely your colours. You will get a lot of use and pleasure from this beautifully and professionally made bag!

Renata said...

I can see a leather jacket in your not too distant future. Terrific bag.

shams said...

That is a beautiful bag, Sharon!

Irene said...

What a gorgeous bag!

Mary said...

Sharon, that is just beautiful and perfectly your style.

Myrna said...

Gorgeous. What a fun workshop.

Sue said...

Wow! Fantastic bag - how great to finish it at the workshop too.

Linda T said...

Fabulous bag. Love the inside "lining."

Carol said...

This is incredible. Yes, I can see you tackling a jacket soon, too. I forogt all about the ASG conference and I was in Adelaide on business that week!

Gay McDonell said...

Great work - sewing with leather is fun!!!

Janine said...

Absolutely gorgeous bag!

Alison said...

Love it!

SewRuthie said...

Oh fabulous and GREAT colours for you. Enjoy!

BeaJay said...

Love your bag. Gorgeous colours. And how great to have made it yourself. The quality looks great.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous bag Sharon. I'm sure your will use this loads. Nice to get it all made at the class - and no-one will notice your 'wayward stitch' if you don't point it out!

Carolyn said...

Wow! That is very impressive!

Gail said...

Great bag. Looking forward to a close up view at guild.

Cherrypix said...

Very stylish ....so impressed! Now you need another visit to that leather place in Surry Hills :-)

Audrey said...

What a beautiful bag. It looks very functional and the simple design really highlights the different leathers.

kbenco said...

It looks very smart. I have been wanting to try sewing a leather handbag, so I am feeling slightly envious, just for a minute ;). It sounds like a terrific time at the convention.

Vicki said...

Wow!! You attended some great ASG workshops. Great bag.