Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cosmetic Bags

On Friday night I realised that I needed something to take to my ASG meeting the next morning and seeing I have so many garment ideas running around my head I have ended up with some paralysis as to what to cut out next.  This is when I spied this project that had been sitting on my sewing desk since earlier this year.

I purchased a kit for a Laminate Cotton sew-along thinking it would give me some practice for sewing my rain coat trench that is one of the garments on my sewing list.

I chose the Orchid Fiona Panel by Riley Blake Designs.  The kit was packed up so nicely with samples of the different cotton laminates, a Wonder Clip as well as the fusible Pellon, zips, cord and cord holder to make the 2 cosmetic bags and a sunglasses case.  I cut out all the pieces on Friday night and fused the Pellon to the cotton laminate - on the ironing board I had the Pellon face up, the laminate cotton on top and a muslin press cloth on top, iron on cotton and no steam and it worked perfectly.

I used a size 14 needle and a Teflon foot for my sewing machine and normal Gutterman thread for the construction.  All pressing was done with a dry iron on cotton setting and my muslin pressing cloth.

Here is the completed set:


The larger cosmetic bag showing the interior:


The smaller case showing the interior:



This was a good quick project and I am surprised at how well my travel sized bottles fit in them!

********************

There were a couple of questions on my last post about KS 3740.

shams - the neckline is the cowl from this pattern, it falls very softly in this fabric so is hard to see it in any detail.

mary - I do a round shoulder adjustment which moves the shoulder seam 1.5cm forward and when I lined up the sleeve head with this point the cap height of the sleeve is not in the correct place causing my sleeve to twist.  I normally place the sleeve cap notch 1.5cm behind the shoulder seam then the sleeve cap height is in the correct position and my sleeve doesn't twist.   I hope that makes sense.

15 comments:

BeaJay said...

Love the bags. Your fabric is beautiful - very vibrant.

Maria (viola33) said...

A lovely set of bags. The colour is beautiful.

Linda T said...

How cute!

Dixie said...

Cute bags, and a smart way to learn before starting your raincoat.

RhondaBuss said...

Something so overlooked and yet something that we really use. Great pieces. You are really going to enjoy these.

Diana said...

So pretty as is the top of your last post.

Carol said...

These are lovely, Sharon. I like having pretty things in a hotel room when I'm travelling. I need to make some!

velosews said...

These are so lovely Sharon.

Sue said...

Cute bags!

gwensews said...

Those bags are a really good learning experience using bonded fabric, and functional, as well. Great!

Cherrypix said...

They turned out beautifully!

Anonymous said...

These are great - that'd make wonderful gifts. Can you tell us where you purchased your kit from?

CherylStillSews

Renata said...

Not only useful but gorgeous as well!

Sharon said...

CherlyStillSews, the kit was purchased from a co-op that I am a member of in the USA.

Carolyn said...

Beautiful work, this set of bags look so professionally finished and very smart. Your work is always superb :)
Thanks for the technical tips on sewing the laminate fabric too, very useful to know!